Monday, July 1, 2013

Our Story - First Date

Hello! We are the Whites and this is our lovely 
story of how we came to be. 




Well it all started before we even met. Ryan was serving a mission in Poland and his mission president gave him a rather unusual assignment to fill out a BYU application. Ryan was born and raised in Salt Lake City as a Ute fan, so you can imagine he was less than thrilled about the assignment, but because he was so humble and obedient he did it anyway. When he got home from his mission he had been accepted to the U of U and BYU. He prayed about which school he should go to and that he told me was how he found himself enrolled in classes at BYU for the next fall.

I am a small town girl from Southern Idaho who followed in my big brother's footsteps and also attended BYU. I think you can already picture where this is going, but I want to assure you that our story is NOT one of those crazy BYU love stories when a couple meets and a month later they are engaged and two months later they are married. I promised myself I would never let that happen so I took the four seasons and a road trip approach when it came to serious relationships. And you best believe I stuck to that promise.

Ryan and I met at the beginning of our senior year, in a rather typical BYU way which was through our ward, better yet our FHE group, even better.... wait for it.... I was his FHE mom aka one of his FHE group leaders. Although we met at the beginning of that Fall semester we didn't start dating until the end of January, but I remember distinctly thinking to myself during our first FHE activity that Ryan was a pretty cool guy.

Five months later just after my birthday, Ryan came over to my apartment for our FHE activity and then left after it was over. About an hour later I heard a knock on our door and my roommate came into our room to tell me Ryan was here to see me. I figured he had forgotten to ask me something. Turns out he came back after everyone left to ask me out on a date. I thought that was very classy of him to ask me in person.

As you can guess, I said yes of course and he took me out that weekend to a laser light show in Salt Lake. When I got in his car, I sat down and there was this ginormous U of U sticker glaring back at me on the dashboard and a crucifix hanging from the rear view mirror. Needless to say I was a little confused, especially with the crucifix, but Ryan explained that many people from Poland are Catholic and the crucifix reminded him of Poland.

Now you have to understand Ryan is a really funny and quirky guy so I guess I shouldn't have been taken too aback when he leaned over before the laser show started to ask me if I had ever experienced what it was like to be on drugs. I kind of just stared at him in shock for a second and then assured him that I hadn't and he replied with a simple, "well I hear this show is pretty darn close it"

We went to the famous U of U pizzeria called the Pie after the show and I honestly couldn't stop laughing at how whenever Ryan referred to anything about BYU he would simply respond to it as that one place.

Ryan is a business marketer and is very strategic, especially when it comes to planning dates. For example, on our drive to and from SLC for our first couple of dates, Ryan had a big bag of Starburst for us to munch on as we asked each other questions from this jar of questions he had made. Come to find out after a few months of dating him, he told me that the Starburst was a key element in a first date, that they are great because it isn't suggestive like handing a girl a stick of gum, but it still ensures that both the guy and the girl will have nice fruity breath if there happens to be a kiss at the end of the date. Like I said very strategic.

Well me being rather reserved I did not kiss him on that first date. In fact I don't even recall him giving me a hug, instead what I do remember was him telling me how much fun he'd had and then him sticking out his hand to give me a handshake. I was a little confused, but took his hand to shake it. I still give him a hard time and probably always will for giving me, now his wife, a handshake on our first date.

No comments:

Post a Comment